A voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) application that allows users to make inexpensive calls between Skype computers and landline or cell phones and free phone calls between Skype-equipped computers is named Skype. Rather than as a centralized application, Skype functions on a P2P model and it offers features such as conference calling, call forwarding, voicemail, and video chat.
In most situations, Skype gives access to voice and video communication for a fraction of what other options cost. It allows more regular contact between collaborators, colleagues, and friends and allows connections with those not likely to be in touch through conventional phone systems.
Here is a tiny guide that can help you to clear most of your questions related to skype.
How to change your skype username?
You’ll likely use a non-email-based username that can’t be changed unless you create a new account, which means losing your existing contacts if you signed up for a Skype account before Microsoft acquired Skype.
Change Your Skype Display Name on Windows and Mac
- Launch the Skype app.
- Select your display name or Skype profile image. Both are shown in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Select Skype Profile.
- Type a new name after selecting the Edit Pencil icon.
- Click the checkmark on the right side of the text box or Press Enter.
Change Your Skype Display Name on Mobile
- Open the Skype app.
- Tap your Skype profile image at the top.
- Tap your Skype profile, then tap the pencil icon next to your display name.
- Make the necessary changes and then tap the checkmark to save.
Change Your Skype Username on the Web
- Change your Skype username on the web in a similar way
- Log in to Skype.com.
- Select your name in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select My Account.
- Scroll down to Settings and preferences and click Edit profile.
- Click Edit Profile again and then input your new username.
- Select Save, near the upper-right corner of the page.
What is my skype id?
A unique name associated with your account is your Skype ID and it can’t be changed. You just need to open your Skype profile to find your Skype ID. You can do this both on your mobile app for iPhone and Android and on desktop. Skype ID is now created and given to you when you make your Skype account, but it used to be possible to set your own Skype ID.
Also Check: Best Free Email Services
Locate your Skype ID on your mobile app
- On your phone or tablet, open the Skype app.
- At the top of the screen, tap on your profile picture. You should see your initials inside of a grey circle if you don’t have a profile picture for your account.
- This will open a pop-up. Under the “Manage” section, tap on “Skype profile”.
- Just above the email used to create the account, you’ll find your Skype Name under the “Profile” section.
Locate your Skype ID on your desktop app
- On your desktop, open the Skype app.
- At the top-left of the screen, click on your profile picture. You should see your initials inside of a grey circle if you don’t have a profile picture for your account.
- Click “Skype profile.”
- You’ll find your Skype Name under the “Profile” heading which will be shown after a pop-up is opened.
How to install skype?
Install Skype On Windows:
- Open Start. On the bottom-left corner of the screen, click the Windows logo.
- Type Store in the search box. This will search for the Store app.
- Click Store. You can find it at the top of the Start window. Doing this will open the Windows Store app.
- Then click on the search bar. In the upper-right side of the Store app, you’ll find this.
- Type in skype. A drop-down menu that contains matching options will be prompted by this.
- Click Skype. It is the first option in the drop-down menu. This opens the Skype app page.
- Click Get. You can find this option on the left side of the page. When you click this Skype will begin to be installed onto your computer.
- Open Skype. In the Store window, click the blue Launch button. Once Skype has installed, this button appears.
Install Skype On Android:
- Open your Android’s Google Play Store. Click on the Google Play Store app icon, that looks like a multicolored triangle on a white background.
- Type in skype. A drop-down menu with a list of matching apps will appear then.
- Tap Skype – free IM & video calls. The top result in the drop-down menu will be this option. You will be taken to the Skype app page.
- Tap INSTALL. It is a green button present on the right side of the screen.
- Open Skype. tap OPEN in the Google Play Store, or tap the Skype app icon in your Android App Drawer when Skype finishes downloading.
Install Skype On Mac:
- Open the Skype website. Go to https://www.skype.com/ in your browser.
- Click Get Skype. It is a blue button that can be found in the middle of the page. This will make the Skype setup file begin downloading onto your Mac.
- Wait for Skype to finish downloading. Depending on your Internet connection, this can take a few seconds to a few minutes.
- Open the Skype DMG file. To open it, double-click the downloaded Skype setup file.
- Install Skype. Click and drag the Skype app icon onto the “Applications” folder icon, in the DMG file’s window, then release the mouse button. Skype will install it onto your Mac.
- Click Applications. On the left side of the Finder window, this folder is present.
- Alternatively, at the top of the screen, you can click the Go menu item and then click Applications in the resulting drop-down menu.
- Open Skype. Find and double-click on the Skype app icon. Skype’s login page will be opened when we do this.
- Log into Skype. Type your Microsoft account email address (or Skype username or phone number) and password for logging in, then follow any on-screen instructions. You’ll be able to use Skype as you please, once you’re logged in.
How to uninstall skype?
In two different ways, you can uninstall Skype on a Windows 10 PC. However, your account with Skype will not be deleted by Uninstalling Skype. You will need to reinstall Skype’s latest version before you can make calls, if you uninstall Skype, but want to use it again.
- Power on your Windows 10 computer. Then click either the Windows button located at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Right-click on the Skype app and click “Uninstall” from the pop-up menu after scrolling through the applications on your computer. This will launch the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, until you see Skype appear on your screen, scroll through your applications. Double-click the app. After that confirm if you want to uninstall the software from your computer.
How to share screen on skype?
Share Screen on Skype for Windows, macOS, and Linux
To make the application consistent across desktop operating systems, recent versions of Skype have come a long way. Skype provides a one-click process to share your screen that’s similar across all platforms when you’re connected to a call.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, select the Share screen icon.
- select which one you’d like to share if you have more than one monitor or display. Click Share Screen to start.
- Confirm what’s being shared. Around the screen, a yellow border is placed by Skype.
- To stop sharing, either hang up the call or select the Share screen icon again.
Share Snapshots on Skype for Android and iOS
Mobile devices can’t share live screencasts in calls, but these devices can share screenshots. On iOS or Android, tap the Plus when you’re on a call. This tap displays the actions you can take during a call.
- Tap Snapshot.
- Skype takes a snapshot of your screen and automatically inserts it into the call’s text chat.
- Others in the call can view or download the screenshot, so be careful what else is on the screen when you capture it.
How to update skype?
On your computer, you can manually update Skype and ensure your app is up to date with the latest features. You can update your app to the latest version if needed, on Mac or PC after checking which version of Skype you’re using.
Also Check: Best Free Skype Alternatives
Update Skype on Windows
- Launch the Skype application on your computer after turning on your PC. Sign in if needed.
- Click on the “Help” button. Hold the “ALT ” key on your keyboard and a menu will appear if you don’t see the “Help” option.
- Click on “Check for updates manually.”
Update Skype on a Mac
- Launch and sign in to Skype.
- Click “Skype” in the top toolbar.
- Select the update if available after Clicking “Check for updates”.
How to stop skype from starting automatically?
Disabling Skype as a background app on your system is one way to prevent it from launching when you start up your computer.
In System Settings, you can do this.
- Select the Start button. Then type Settings and select the Settings app.
- Select Privacy in the System Settings window.
- In the Privacy settings window, until you see the App permissions section, scroll down in the left navigation menu. Under this section, Select Background apps.
- Under the Background apps, Scroll down to Skype and then turn the toggle switch for Skype to Off.
How to add someone on skype?
By searching for a name, phone number, or email address, you can add contacts on Skype. In the “Contacts” section of the Skype app, this search function is found. The procedure is almost the same on both the desktop and mobile versions of Skype.
Add contacts on Skype in the mobile app
- On your Android device or iPhone, open the Skype app and at the bottom of the screen, tap the “Contacts” tab.
- This will bring you to your alphabetically sorted contacts page. In the upper-right corner, tap the “Add Contact” icon, which appears like a person’s head and shoulders next to a plus sign (+).
- For the new contact that you want, you can now search on it. Enter the phone number, person’s name, or email. The option to invite friends by email or text message is also available — this is good if they don’t already have a Skype account.
Skype will automatically begin generating results when you begin typing. Once you’ve located it to add it to your contact list, simply tap the correct name.
Add contacts on Skype in the desktop app
- On your desktop, open the Skype app and in the upper left-hand corner, tap on the “Contacts” tab found.
- This will bring you to your alphabetically sorted contacts page. In the upper-right corner, tap the “Add Contact” button at the top of the sidebar on the left.
- Now you can search for the new contact that you want. Again, Enter the phone number, person’s name — this is good if they don’t already have a Skype account
Skype will suggest results, as you type. Simply click the black “Add” button next to their name, when you find the account that you want.
How to delete Skype messages?
It is easy to delete your old chat records on Skype, but keep in mind that you can’t retrieve these deleted chats. Also, as the person you chatted with has no way of knowing you erased the archived text, don’t worry about offending anyone.
- Launch the Skype application and log in. In the left menu pane, a list of your previous contacts, along with each recorded chat, is visible. Find the chat you wish to delete and hold or right-click it.
- Select Delete Conversation, when the drop-down menu appears.
- Then A message arises by asking if you are sure if you want to delete the chat permanently. To complete the process, select Delete.
Where does skype save files?
The downloads folder is the most obvious place to look for one of the files that you received through Skype. Windows most applications, this is normal behavior. The default folder for downloads of Skype is “hidden” somewhere in the user’s folders as Microsoft wants to “trick” us a little more.
- Open File Explorer, type %appdata%, and hit Enter.
You’ll find the Skype folder after You are redirected to the current user’s folders. Open the Skype folder. Then navigate to the folder named ‘My Skype Received Files. Voila! Here, you will find all your files your contacts sent through Skype.
It would be better to shift the folder where these files are stored automatically to one of your choices, such as the Downloads folder which you are already using, to avoid having to search for files you get from Skype each time.
How to block someone on skype?
- Tap or right-click and hold on the contact you want to block and select View profile, from the Contacts or Chats tab.
- Now Scroll down to the bottom of their profile window and click on Block contact.
Note: You can also select the Edit Edit button on the desktop and then select Block contact.
3. From the Block this contact? window, you can:
- Report abuse and then block the contact: Toggle Report abuse from this person on, select a reason, and then select Block.
- Block someone without reporting abuse: Select Block.
4. Contact will be removed from your chats and contact list, once a person is blocked.
How to unblock on skype?
- Click on the profile picture.
- Select Settings.
- Till you get Contacts, Scroll down to the bottom. You should find Manage blocked contacts under this section.
- Tap on the corresponding Unblock button that you want to unblock.
- When you are done with this, click Done.