Gmail has come a long way. It occasionally prompts ripples of outrage across its user base and it’s also not perfect. But let’s be honest: with Gmail, you get plenty for nothing.
Gmail is a constant work in progress, as a web app, but the amount of under-the-hood power is pretty staggering. Surely, there are plenty of browser extensions and add-ons that can enhance Gmail specifically, far beyond its original parameters. However, special accessories are not required by every bit of power-user tech in Gmail. Without ever installing something extra, plenty is possible via the main interface.
Mastering barely a few settings will even help you grab the full advantage of what Gmail offers beyond the basics. Let’s get started.
When most of the emails you get are junk, spam, or simply unwanted, it can get annoying. It’s time to start weeding out the culprits and take control of your inbox. Today we will demonstrate to you how to block emails on Gmail.
How to block emails on Gmail?
It is usually better to block the single sender who keeps bothering you. You can mark ‘mailer-daemon spam’ as spam or junk if you’re receiving them.
To add a Gmail sender to your blocked senders’ list and make messages go to the Spam folder automatically:
- From the sender, you want to block, open a message.
- Tap the More menu button (showing three upright dots) next to the Reply button.
- Select Block <Name> from the menu that has appeared.
- Click Block in the confirmation message that appears. Now that sender is blocked.
Block a Sender Using a Rule in Gmail
Using A Filter you set up and maintain, to make Gmail send messages from a specific sender to the Trash automatically :
- Click the Show search options triangle (▾) in the Gmail search field.
- Type the desired email address under From:
- Click Create filter.
- In the search filter dialogue box appears, select Delete it.
- Click Create filter.
- with a rule in Gmail, you have now blocked a sender.
How to change a signature in Gmail?
Important: Make sure that you don’t have Plain text mode enabled before you start creating an email signature in Gmail.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner and then See all settings, in your Gmail account.
- Scroll down to the Signature section, in the General tab.
- Tl adds a new signature, click the Create new button or to change the existing signature (if there is one already), use the formatting tools.
Note: A few basic formatting options such as font size (small, normal, large and huge), font face (check out what fonts are best for email signatures), hyperlinks, alignment, images, etc are given to you by the Gmail signature editor. Use this free email signature generator to compose more advanced email signatures. Signatures fabricated using the signature generator can be effortlessly copied and pasted directly to Gmail’s signature editor.
- As per your needs, create or modify your email signature. Click the Insert image button, if you want to add an image to your signature
Note: By dragging and dropping, you can change the position of the image in your signature.
Click the Link button and provide link details, to highlight the part of your signature you want to be hyperlinked, to add a hyperlink to the image or any text.
- Select your signature from the drop-down menu in Signature defaults, if you want your signature to show up automatically every time you compose a new message. For new emails and replies/forwards, you can have different signatures.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes when your Gmail signature is ready.
- To check if your signature shows up correctly, go to Inbox, and open a new message window by clicking the Compose button. Depending on a situation (if you created more than one email signature), use the pen icon to select different Gmail email signatures.
Note: You will not be able to use email signatures with social media icons, images, or hyperlinks, If Plain text mode enabled in Gmail’s message composer. So click the More option (three dots) and deselect the Plain text mode option, to disable the Plain Text mode.
For the changes to apply, you may need to wait a couple of seconds. If the signature was already changed to the Plain Text format, you may also need to reload your signature.
How to unarchive Gmail?
How to unarchive Gmail messages on a computer:
- Open Gmail on your Mac or PC.
- Scroll to the “All Mail” category on the left-hand side and click on that.
- To find the email you wish to archive, scroll or search for that.
- Right-click and select “Move to inbox”, when you’ve found it.
Moreover, you can tap the email and click on the “Move to Inbox” icon that is present at the top of the screen.
How to unarchive Gmail messages on a mobile device:
- On your iPhone or Android device, open the Gmail app.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the screen, tap the menu icon.
- Till you find the “All email” tab, scroll down. Tap to open.
- Scroll or search for the message you wish to unarchive. Tap to open once you’ve located it.
- In the upper right-hand corner, tap the three dots.
- Tap “Move to Inbox.”
How to schedule an email in Gmail?
If you want to compose an email but schedule it to send at a later time, it’s easy to schedule an email on Gmail. You can pick a custom time and date to schedule your email to send or you can choose from four preset time options with schedule sent.
Also Check: Biggest Features Of New Gmail For Web
Here’s the method to schedule an email on Gmail on mobile or desktop, and cancel the schedule if necessary.
- First, log in to your Gmail account by going to https://www.google.com/gmail/.
- Compose the email you want to schedule by clicking “Compose” in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on the dropdown menu arrow next to the “Send” button, after you’ve composed the email.
- Click “Schedule send.”
- When scheduling an email, Schedule send gives four option: tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon, Monday morning, or customized. Click the one that you wish to apply.
- Click “Pick date & time”, if you wish to customize the date and time.
- Type a time into the text box on the right and select a date from the calendar on the left and.
- From the bottom of the screen, select “Schedule send”.
How to unsend an email in Gmail
You can adjust the time that emails are held from the default of five seconds (too short, IMHO) up to 30 seconds, even if Gmail’s “Undo Send” feature is automatically turned on. Pick whatever feels best for you, I have mine set for 10 seconds.
To adjust your timeframe, go to:
- Gmail Settings (cogwheel icon) > Settings > and choose the General tab.
- Scroll down to “Undo Send.”
- 5, 10, 20, or 30 seconds- Set the “Send cancellation period” to whatever is most works best for you.
- Look for “Undo” in the “Message Sent” box and click it, when you want to unsend an email. The email you just sent will be saved to your “Drafts” folder and will open back up.
- “Undo Send” also works in the Android and iOS Gmail app. Look for the “Cancel” button at the bottom of the screen and click it.
How to forward Gmail?
It may make sense to forward incoming messages to a colleague if you’re going to be away for a few weeks and unable to answer emails from clients or customers. If you want to combine messages from several accounts in one inbox, forwarding can also be useful. Here’s how to forward emails from Gmail:
- Step 1: Log in to your Gmail account. Then navigate to “Settings”.
- Step 2: Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Open the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Step 4: Enter a forwarding email address. Then click on “Next” to confirm.
- Step 5: After you click on “Next”, a pop-up window will open, asking you to confirm the forwarding email address by clicking on “Proceed”.
- Step 6: To the forwarding address you specified, a message containing a confirmation link will now be sent. To approve the forwarding settings, click on the link.
- Step 7: You need to refresh the Gmail when you’ve set up the link between your two email providers. In your Gmail settings, now go back to the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Step 8: Select the “Forward a copy of incoming mail to” option, in the “Forwarding” section. For defining what Gmail should do with the forwarded emails, the drop-down menu contains further options.
- In your Gmail inbox, keep a copy of the forwarded email
- Keep the copy and mark it as read
- Automatically archive the forwarded email
- After forwarding it, delete the email from your Gmail account
By clicking on “Save Changes”, confirm your selection.
How to mark all emails as read Gmail?
A fresh start can be given by marking all of your old messages as read and it can also help you prioritize; however, Gmail’s standard interface limits you to marking one page of messages at a time. Prevent gliding through your messages with Gmail’s advanced search feature which allows you to mark all of your unread messages at once.
- Type “label: inbox is: unread” (without the quotes) into the Google search field at the top of the page, and then press “Enter.” Gmail displays the first 20 unread messages in your inbox.
- Click the “Down” arrow on the Select button and choose “All.”
- Click “Select All Conversations That Match the Results” in the message that appears near the top of the page.
- Tap the “More” button, click “Mark as Read,” and then tap “OK.” Gmail marks all of your Inbox messages as read. If you’ve accumulated hundreds of unread messages, this process may take several seconds or longer.
How to CC & BCC in Gmail?
The difference between the To field and CC lies in email etiquette. Ideally, on receiving an email, CC recipients aren’t supposed to take any action. However, To recipients are required to work on receiving an email. Who has action and who needs the information is defined by the correct usage of To and CC fields.
How to CC in Gmail
On how to use the CC field for sending an email to multiple recipients in an email client, here’s a step-by-step guide. ( For your mobile Gmail app, this process is the same.)
- Step 1: Log in to your Gmail account. To open up the Gmail compose window, Click ‘Compose’.
- Step 2: In the To address box, type your primary recipient’s email address. Using a comma or space, or by pressing the enter key, separate multiple addresses.
You have to add CC recipients, to send a copy of your mail to someone.
Click CC, as shown below.
- Step 3: Enter the email address of recipients who’ll receive a copy of the email in the CC field.
- Step 4: Compose your email subject and message. Hit Send when your message is complete. An email will be received by all your recipients (primary + CC’d).
How to BCC in Gmail
Use the exact first process that you’d use in How to CC in Gmail. Except, click on add BCC instead of CC, this time.
How many Gmail accounts can I have?
On the number of accounts you can have on Google, there is no limit. You can instantly and easily create new accounts. And link those to your existing accounts. So you can easily switch between different accounts.
How to recover deleted emails from Gmail?
As long as it wasn’t deleted more than 30 days ago, you can easily recover a deleted email in Gmail on the mobile app or desktop website. Using the Gmail app, or the desktop site, you can recover emails. You can move them to any mailbox you choose, not just your inbox.
Recover deleted emails on the website
- Click “More” in the sidebar panel on the left, underneath where your mailboxes are listed.
- Till you find the folder labelled “Trash”, scroll down and click on it.
- Find the email you want to recover and click on it
- You’ll see a row of icons, at the top of the email, between the search bar and the subject line.
The third icon from the left, the “Move” button, looks like a folder with an arrow on it. To open a menu of options for where you can move the email, click on it.
- Either click “Inbox” to restore the deleted email to your inbox, from there, select one of the other destinations, or, if you don’t see the one you want, search for it in the search box.
Recover deleted emails on the Gmail mobile app
- Next to the search bar, In the top left corner of the app, click the “Menu” icon, which looks like three horizontal lines.
- Scroll down to the bottom. Click on Trash to go to your deleted emails folder.
- Find and open the email you want to recover.
- Next to an icon of an envelope, In the top right corner of the app, tap the three-dot icon to open an action menu.
- Tap “Move to” on the menu that pops up.
- Select the inbox you would prefer to return the email to — your main inbox may be labelled simply “Inbox” or “Primary”.
How to delete multiple emails in Gmail?
Space in your Gmail account is freed up and your phone or tablet performs better when you delete more than one Gmail message at once. In your Google account, emails with attachments take up storage space, and if downloaded, use up phone storage, too.
Follow these procedures to delete all of your Gmail emails in bulk or delete more than one email at a time.
- In Gmail, open the folder that comprises the emails you want to remove.
- Click on the icon positioned to the left of an email you want to delete in Gmail. Or, to select a message, press and hold it.
- Choose the icon near other emails you want to remove from Gmail.
- Tap the Delete icon.
- The selected messages are deleted.
Quickly Delete Single Gmail Emails Via Android & iOS phones
As you can swipe one email after the other to quickly remove several messages, using swipe to delete in Gmail makes it a breeze to remove messages. To press the Delete icon, you don’t have to open an email.
To delete Gmail messages by arranging a swipe action:
- Clicking the three-lined menu at the top left of Gmail. Then select Settings.
- Go to General settings > Swipe actions.
- Tap Change for the Right swipe or Left swipe, and choose Delete.
- To return to your email, tap the Back arrow and then swipe the correct direction to remove emails.
What does archive mean in Gmail & how to archive email?
The message is hidden from your Inbox view, when you archive a message in Gmail, Unlike Outlook. So in effect, by moving messages from your inbox into your All Mail label, so you don’t have to delete anything, archiving lets you tidy up your inbox. Rather than putting something in the trash can, it is like moving it into a filing cabinet for safekeeping.
By clicking the “All Mail” label on the left side of your Gmail page, any message you’ve archived can be found. By clicking on any other labels you’ve applied to it, or by searching for it, you can also find a message you’ve archived.
How To move emails to archive:
- By checking the box next to the sender’s name, select the message in your inbox.
- In the toolbar above your message list, click the Archive button.
- If you have a message open, you can also archive it by clicking the Archive Button above the message.
To move an archived message back to your inbox, follow these steps:
- Click All Mail. (If you don’t see All Mail along the left side of your Gmail page, click the More drop-down menu at the bottom of your labels list.)
- Check the box next to the sender’s name.
- Click the Move to Inbox button.
If you’d like an option to automatically archive messages after you’ve sent replies:
- Click the gear icon and choose Settings.
- Locate the Send and Archive setting. Then choose the option you prefer.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
You’ll see a new button at the bottom of the page when you reply to messages, once you enable the setting. Tap Send & Archive to send the reply and archive the previous message in one step or click Send to send your reply but leave the original message in your inbox when you’re done writing.
Where is the spam folder in Gmail?
Depending on which app you use, your Spam folder in Gmail is kept separate from all your other inboxes, and may even be hidden at first. You’ll have to click the “More” option to find your Spam folder if you’re using Gmail on your desktop.
You’ll need to open the main menu to find the Spam folder, in the mobile Gmail app. You can read the messages in it, delete them, or bring them to your normal inbox when you’ve opened your Spam folder.
Gmail Spam folder on a desktop
- In any internet browser on your Mac or PC, open Gmail.
- You’ll see all of your folders, including your general “Inbox”, in the left sidebar. Till you see the “More” option, scroll down and click this to find even more folders.
- Click on the “Spam” folder. With an exclamation point icon, this will be labelled.
- In this folder, any messages currently marked as spam will appear. Click the blank check box at the top-left to select all messages, and then click “Delete forever, if you’d like to clear this folder”.
- If you’d like to bring a specific message back to your general Inbox, open it and then click “Not spam” at the top of the page. This will instruct Gmail not to mark messages like this as spam in the future.
Gmail Spam folder on Android & iOS
- On your iPhone or Android device, open the Gmail app.
- To open the main menu, click the three bars in the upper-right corner from any screen.
- Scroll down and tap the “Spam” option.
- Tap the “Empty Spam Now” option at the top of the page, to delete all your Spam messages at once. Tap and hold your finger down on it, then tap the three dots that appear in the top-right, to delete a single message. From the menu that appears, select “Delete forever”.
- Open a message and then tap “Report not spam” in greyyray box, to bring a message back to your general Inbox. Tap the three dots in the top-right corner and then select “Not spam”, if this box doesn’t appear.