If you don’t have time to catch on the flow of the lecture, if you don’t have time to write college essays, if you want help in making timetables, remembering project deadlines etc. there are Apps for students that will make your academic routine easier and give you more time. Check the list of apps below.
- MyStudyLife (IOS, Android, free) will help you make detailed timetables, repeat schedules on weekly (or other) rotations, break down tasks and to-do lists. The best part is this works offline too. So you can access your schedule even in a signal blackspot area.
- Wunderlist (iOS, Android, Windows, free) helps you to remember project deadlines, assignments, lectures and more by making endless useful to-do lists. The individual lists can be shared with other Wunderlist-users, thus allowing the sharing of shopping lists between housemates or breaking down of shared project work.
- Offtime (Android, free) is a digital detoxer that is very useful when an important deadline is approaching. It helps you to focus on your target by blocking your calls, texts and notifications. It even restricts access to any apps and limits your phone usage. Exceptions can be made for the people important to you. Also, custom auto-replies can be sent to let others know when you’ll be ready to connect.
- VoiceNote (iOS, Androide) helps you to take notes in lectures. It can simultaneously track what you type or draw and record audio. While playing back the recording, if you tap on a word, the SoundNote will jump to that point in the audio.
Revision and essays
- GoConqr (iOS, Android, free) transforms your notes into mind maps, flashcards, quizzes and slides.
- EasyBib (iOS, Android, free) generates citations very easily. You can scan a book’s barcode for easy referencing – especially useful for dissertation-writing – and select the style of the citation required by your tutors.
Sharing a house or flat
- Chorma (iOS, free) allows splitting up household chores with flatmates.
- Sortly (iOS, Android, free for first 100 items) helps in making a personal inventory. It allows clicking pictures and recording valuables with their serial numbers. This is helpful if anything gets stolen or breaks.
- Splitwise (iOS, Android, free) keeps a check on shared household expenses and facilitates paying bills, sharing meals and birthday presents easily.
- White Noise (iOS, Android, free) is apt when dealing with noisy flatmates. It has 40 different sounds, from rushing water and waves to spa music, specifically designed to block out interruptions and help you to fall asleep. This works offline too.
- Alarmy (iOS, Android, free) has innovative ways to make sure you’re awake. It can make you solve a fairly simple puzzle or maths question to turn off the alarm so that your brain will be awake will not press snooze. Alarmy can also be set in such a way that you have to get out of bed and take a picture of a registered place, like a sink on the other side of the room, to switch off the alarm.
- Citymapper (iOS, Android, web, free) combines maps with live travel information for buses, tubes, train, ferry, tram and cycling dock stations in most major cities.
- Unroll.me (iOS, Android, web, free) – brings up a list of every mailing list you’re subscribed to, so that the ones not required can be quickly removed. It combines the wanted newsletters into one digest email. This prevents interruptions and pinging on your phone every day.
- Stampuno (iOS, Android, free) digitises loyalty cards and stores your card details so you don’t need to keep them in your wallet. For this, it works with hundreds of loyalty programmes, including big ones like Clubcard and Nectar.
- Spending Tracker (iOS, Android, free) is a budgeting app that helps you to track your spending. Finances are turned into graphs that highlight where your cash goes each month. Not only this, it reminds you to pay bills and waves a red flag when you are overspending.
- Goodbudget (iOS, Android, web, free) transfers cash into different “envelopes” for different purposes. This allows you to check the envelope balances, sync with bank accounts and other devices and track expenses. This app is especially useful for budgeting with a partner or housemates.
- Student Beans (iOs, Android, web) gives you details and access to student discounts. It includes an ID to flash that can be used in shops to secure a student discount and also some deals exclusive to the app and website.
There are many, many more useful features that you can peruse via the above link and we recommend getting to know this app intimately; it will help you far beyond your academic life and it can help manage literally every minute of your day if you want or need that kind of organization in your life.
We hope that the information presented here provides you with sufficient productivity tools to get your life organized and achieve excellence in all your pursuits both in and out of the classroom.