For better security, several system files and folders are hidden by default in windows 10 PC. Doing this prevents the deletion of files by mistake. However these files can be accessed from a windows hard drive by following the three given methods.
Show Hidden Files In Windows 10 Using File Explorer (Method-1)
- Launch File Explorer from the taskbar.
If File Explorer is not found in the taskbar, it can be searched for in the search bar. After opening the file explorer click on view, be sure the ^ (expand tab) is open.
- After clicking on View, select Show/hide and click the checkbox to select hidden items.
- Alternatively, you can look for the change folder and search options under the options tab in the file explorer.
- After selecting the change folder and search options, a popup shall open the folder options. click view in the folder options and here you can select to show hidden files, folders, and drives option.
Show Hidden Files, Folders, And Drives Using Control Panel (Method-2)
- open the control panel and select Appearance and Personalization.
- On the next window, under the File Explorer Options, select Show hidden files and folders. A popup window shall open with file explorer options where you can select the show hidden files, folders, and drives option.
It is better to keep “hide protected operating system files” options checked.
Show Hidden Files Using Windows Registry (Method 3)
- Click ‘Windows key‘ and ‘R‘ or, search Run in the search bar to open the Run dialog box.
- Type Regedit, click enter. If a popup appears with the message “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device“, click Yes.
- Navigate through the following path by double-clicking these
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER >
- Software >
- Microsoft >
- Windows >
- CurrentVersion >
- Explorer >
4. Under the advanced tab, in the box on the right, find “Hidden”. Right-click and modify the default value 2 (value 2 keeps your files hidden) to 1 to show hidden files on your PC. Next Click Ok to save changes.
You are done.
Also Check: How To Enable Chrome Dark Mode On Your Windows
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
To show hidden files open file explorer-> select view-> select options-> change folder and search options-> select view->Show Hidden Files, Folders And Drives. You can follow the entire step as mentioned in this article.
If your hidden files are now showing try rebooting your PC and following the steps mentioned in this article.